I hope you love the products I've recommended below, just a heads up that as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means I may earn commissions on products bought via links on this page.
Considering folding bikes have been around for over 100 years, one would think that there would be more folding bikes for tall people available. These types of bicycles have been growing in popularity since the 1970’s, yet the number of options for a tall person is very limited.
While a folding bike is not for everyone, they do serve an important purpose for many riders. Convenience when traveling. Sure there are more standard bike options available for the tall man, but when it comes to space in the trunk, in the trailer, on the train, etc, a folding bike is the way to go.
Below you can find 5 suitable folding bikes for a tall person including an electric bike that folds down to a compact size. With people as tall as 6’7″ covered, it’s nice to know there is an option for almost everyone.
Quick Links To Info On This Page
- 1 Compare Tall Persons Folding Bikes By Height
- 2 Best Folding Bike For Tall Adults Up To 6’7″
- 3 Urban Folding Bike For Tall Riders
- 4 Folding Mountain Bike For Tall People
- 5 Mini Folding Bike For Tall Users
- 6 Electric Folding Bike For Tall Person
- 7 Do Taller Riders Need Bigger Wheels?
Compare Tall Persons Folding Bikes By Height
|21" Frame, 26" Wheels, Folds down to 35" x 30" x 15", Shimano 27-speed Deore index shifting, monocoque carbon fork||6'7"||Check Price Amazon|
|21" Frame, 4 in 1 RackStand: a Cargo Rack, Mud Guard, KickStand and Work Stand, 21 Speed||6'4"||Check Price Amazon|
|Standover height is 29.13" , 1.95" Wide Tires, SR Suntour suspension fork, 18 Speed, 20" Frame||6'4"||Check Price Amazon|
|Made in the USA, Shimano Tourney 7-speed Derailleur, Shimano Revo 7-Speed Grip Style Shifter, Double Wall rims, Light Weight Aluminum Alloy||6'4"||Check Price Amazon|
|Electric Folding Bike, 350W motor, speeds up to 20mph, Shimano Tourney 7 speed, LCD Pedal Assist, 4 Riding Styles||6'3"||Check Price Amazon|
Best Folding Bike For Tall Adults Up To 6’7″
For taller people who are looking to take their biking to the next level and don’t mind spending a good amount, then this bike from Flatbike is a great option.
This folding hybrid bike can handle all the different terrains out there so if you’re a city traveler or a mountain biker, this model can do it all. But like most road bikes for tall people, the convenience of being oversized comes at a cost.
Something that I really like about this bike is how lightweight it is weighing around 23.1lbs which is on the lower end of the scale. A big part of this is thanks to the aluminum frame that has been T.I.G welded meaning that it’s not just lightweight, but very durable as well.
If there is one company that you want your bike crank to be made out of it’s Shimano. This bike has the impressive Shimano DEORE Crank set 44/32/22T which is one of the finest on the market, in my opinion, offering you excellent performance and a smooth ride.
- You’re able to fit this bike in a standard car trunk which does make transporting it very easy.
- When it comes to riding on different terrains this bike is unmatched in my opinion, making this well worth your time considering if you want to take your riding more seriously.
- This bike is great if you’re not the strongest person since it’s so lightweight making it easy to carry and move around.
- Folding this bike can take a bit to get used to but once you do it’s fairly easy and quick to do.
- Sadly this bike is expensive and can break the bank, so it’s not for everyone and really only for those who do or plan on taking their riding very seriously. It’s worth the money in my opinion, but I can understand why people are put off by the price.
Urban Folding Bike For Tall Riders
Up to 6’4″
Montague has designed this bike to be the perfect city bike and you can tell just from a glance it is. It sort of feels like a cross between a cruiser bike and a mountain bike that provides enough capabilities to handle both. Offering some great features while giving you a smooth ride through town, Montague has nailed the city bike it in my opinion.
Being a folding bike you might worry that the frame might be a little weak. That’s not the case since Montague made the clever design choice of making sure there were no breaks in the frame. So it has no structural weakness keeping the frame durable.
It’s impressive they’ve managed to keep the weight down with this bike considering how solid the frame is. Weighing around 34lbs makes it easy to hold while on an elevator at work or easy to put into the trunk of your car.
One thing that I really like about this bike is that they used industry-standard parts for it. The reason this is something I like is that when something goes wrong with the bike you will be able to get to any bike shop to get it fixed.
- If you’re looking for a great city bike and don’t need the ability to go mountain biking then this bike is a great option. It’s one of the best city riders on the market in my opinion.
- Something that can’t be overlooked is the RackStand that acts like a luggage carrier, mudguard, work stand, and kickstand. This all in one feature is extremely useful and adds tremendous value to this bike.
- Sadly there is one issue with this bike that can turn taller people off. That is the stem or handlebars don’t raise up which does mean that you have to lean forward more than other bikes. You can get an extension to make this less of a problem tho.
Folding Mountain Bike For Tall People
Up to 6’4″Mountain bikes for tall people are a popular choice as they allow the taller person the extra height they need. So it comes as no surprise that tall people want to have a folding mountain bike for the convenience of travel.
You might have noticed that Montague has the excellent ability to design bikes that are designed for one purpose. Their last model was excellent for city riding, and this model is for those who want to take mountain biking more seriously.
The tough 20″ frame is made out of durable aluminum that also keeps the weight down. This manages to keep it down to about 32lbs making it surprisingly lighter than their city model.
Important Mountain Bike Features
One of the most important things that a mountain bike needs are an excellent suspension system. They went with an SR Suntour suspension fork that excels at handling the things you will come across when mountain biking such as roots and rocks.
When mountain biking you want bigger and thicker wheels to handle the rough stuff which Montague has added to this bike. Combining the 1.95″ wheels with the SR suspension will give you a nice smooth ride that can handle the tough stuff.
- One of the best folding bikes for mountain biking on the market in my opinion. Perfect for tall people who want to start mountain biking or who are looking for something that can handle it better.
- Montague made the smart choice of going with Shimano for the 18-speed drivetrain. Choosing Shimano means you’re going to get something that’s tough and reliable, two things you want in your mountain bike.
- While this bike is made for mountain biking it can handle city riding pretty easily as well. You won’t have to worry about cracks in the road thanks to it being designed for the tough stuff.
- It’s not a dealbreaker for me, but there is no suspension in the seat which can get a little uncomfortable at times. This isn’t a big issue but something that could be improved upon.
Mini Folding Bike For Tall Users
Up T0 6’3″
At first glance you might not think much of this bike, but that would be a mistake and doing a disservice to the impressive work that Euro-Mini Zizzo has done. The amount of adjustability they have put into this bike is impressive making it able to suit a wide range of people.
Euro-Mini Zizzo has made most of this bike out of aluminum to keep the weight down. They did an impressive job since they’ve managed to get it down to 27lbs making it one of the lightest bikes on this list. Second only to the impressive and expensive Flatbike above.
Something that I like about this bike is the Shimano 7-speed grip style shifter they went with. This gives this bike a nice smooth gear change making it a very smooth ride.
King Of Comfort
One of the best things about this bike is how you can adjust the seat and handlebars on it. You’re able to set it up to work for someone who is 4’8″ to an impressive 6’3″. This level of versatility is really useful in helping you get into a comfortable position. This feature alone makes it one of the most comfortable bikes on the market in my opinion.
- Suitable for a wide range of people with the amount of adjusting you can do which also leads to one extremely comfortable ride.
- Being a taller person does make most things you need more expensive. Which is one of the reasons I like this bike as it doesn’t break your wallet like a lot of other bikes for taller people do.
- There isn’t a lot of downsides to this bike with the biggest downside for me is the lower weight capacity of 240lbs. This capacity can be a little on the low side for some of the taller people out there who need something stronger.
Electric Folding Bike For Tall Person
The advantages of an electric bike instantly make this bike worth considering since it will make life easier for you. But like buying any electric bike for a tall person, the measurment needs to fit, otherwise its a waste of money.
Qualisports could have just simply stopped with just making this bike electric and say that was enough, but they went above and beyond creating an excellent electric bike instead.
Since this is an electric bike, the aluminum frame can only keep the weight down so much. Personally, I don’t think the 36lbs is too heavy but for some people who need the extra assistance of an electric bike, it might be.
The Battery Is Incredible
Batteries are one of the most important things for an electrical bike with this bike having a Samsung 36V 7Ah battery. This battery can be charged in 3 hours which is impressive as a lot of other electric bikes take 6 to 10 hours.
How long does a battery charge last is a tough question? There are a lot of variables including how hard you push it, the terrain you’re on, and how much weight are you carrying. It can easily handle a 2-hour bike ride that isn’t too strenuous and still has plenty of life left over.
- Thanks to this bike being an electric do make it that much easier to ride through town giving you a much easier time especially when you come across a hill.
- When you first get this bike it’s fully assembled with you only needing to connect the battery to the controller. Making it perfect for getting out there and testing it right away instead of spending hours putting the bike together.
- Fully adjustable seat and handlebars allow for people up to 6’3″ to be able to use this bike.
- While I think it being an electric bike is an excellent feature it does come with a high price point. This high cost might not outweigh the advantages for most people but for those who do you will get a quality electric bike.
Do Taller Riders Need Bigger Wheels?
The size of a wheel on bikes can affect a lot of things that you might not have realized before. Especially if you’re a taller person since the average rider has never shared the experience you have had when attempting to ride a bike that’s too small for you.
When it comes to the answer to this tricky question of do taller riders need bigger wheels the answer can be difficult. Depending on the type of bike the wheels will affect it less or more. On your standard road bike and hybrids, the wheels don’t matter too much since the wheels don’t change a lot.
The Mountain Bike Difference
Mountain bikes are the difference since their wheels come in different sizes that can make the same frame have different heights. Going with a standard 15″ frame and adding a 27.5″ wheel on it will make it the frame be roughly 15.75″. Then changing the wheel to a 29″ will make that same frame now measure 16.5″.
So the wheels on a mountain bike can affect the height of a bike which might affect if you’re a taller person. Thankfully it doesn’t affect it as much as you might think and isn’t something that should be the biggest concern for you when riding.
While some salesman will try and upsell you on larger wheels if you’re a taller person it’s not crucial. The size of the wheel is better suited for what you’re doing and not how tall you are which doesn’t make that much of a difference.
Something that does get mentioned quite a bit which is that woman need different bike size charts compared to men. Thankfully that’s not the case as it’s the height that matters and not whether you’re male or female.
Measuring Your Inseam Is Important
One of the most important steps you should do is measure your inseam as it will give you a much better idea of what you will need. Finding out what your inseam is will help a lot with when you’re trying to purchase a bike online as you will be able to tell if a bike will be the right height for you.
Measuring your inseam will help you with a number of things when you go to purchase a bike. Your inseam measurement will help you know what size bike frame you will need when looking for a new bike.
As you might have noticed I consider it very important to measure your inseam before purchasing a bike whether it’s online or not. This measurement is one of the best ways of telling you what’s the best-sized bike for you so I highly recommend you find out what your size is beforehand. Whether you’re after a folding bike for tall people or not, the tire size and inseam measurements need to be considered.