I hope you love the products I've recommended below, just a heads up that as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This means I may earn commissions on products bought via links on this page.
Zero gravity chairs are one of the best ways to relax whether you are camping, lounging around the garden or down at the beach. But as a taller person, finding a chair that is actually long enough can be quite the mission. Manufacturers don’t specifically make zero gravity chairs for tall people.
Sure they have XL and oversized zero gravity chairs which are bigger and have higher weight capacities. But they don’t seem to have the extra tall versions where the emphasis is on on height and not so dependent on weight capacity and the width of the seat.
So whats a tall person to do then. If you don’t want to remodel an existing chair by adding in your own height extensions, you are left with only one other choice. That is to find the longest zero gravity chair you can.
Quick Links To Info On This Page
- 1 The Best Zero Gravity Chair For Tall Persons
- 2 Zero Gravity Chair For 6 Foot Tall People
- 3 XL Oversize Zero Gravity Chair
What To Look For When Buying A Zero Gravity Chair
A zero gravity chair can be hard to buy in comparison to a beach chair or camping chair as a tall person. This is because the chair design follows a wave like pattern. But there are still a couple key indications that will help you determine if the chair is a suitable size for your height.
- Back rest height. As tall people can have longer torsos the back rest usually needs to be taller. But some people have longer legs in comparison. So a taller back rest may not be applicable. But in most cases, you should look to buy a back rest that is no less than 28 inches tall.
- Seat depth. This is very relevant if you have longer legs (even for a tall person). A deeper seat will allow you to push your backside further back which opens up more space for you legs to dangle.
- Overall length of the zero gravity chair. Not all, but some chairs state the exact length of the chair when reclined. But remember the chair is a wave like design, so the actual length will be shorter than your actual height when standing up straight. To be really sure of this length, lay on your back and position your self into the zero gravity position. Get a friend to measure from the top of your head to the bottom o your feet. This will give you a measurement shorter than your height.
- Piggy back off other tall peoples experience. Be sure to look for consumer comments and reviews where they mention their head and whether or not the chair was big enough.
The Best Zero Gravity Chair For Tall Persons
How Does It Measure Up
- When the Timber Ridge has been reclined into the zero gravity position, the total length is 72 inches. Which is a good 6 foot. But when you lay in this position, your body height is constricted down as your knees come up and the legs fold down slightly.
- Almost a 29 inch backrest (28.9″) to allow the head to rest nicely on the padded pillow.
- 21.3 inch leg rest which is about 3-6 inches longer than standard chairs. For most people it will be long enough to comfortable lay in, but for super tall people, your feet may rest on the bar.
- Large 22 inch depth to the seat that allows tall people to really sit back in the seat for maximum leg room.
But Is It A Good Zero Gravity Chair?
If comfort in the form of padding while in the most comfortable position (Zero gravity) excites you, then you’re in for a treat. The durable polyester fabric encases a thick foam padding for making the feeling of laying on empty space even more realistic. The padding is especially good if you have a larger frame and or bad back pain as well.
The padded pillow also acts as an adjustable lumbar support. It’s attached to the chair and simply slides up or down so you can position it exactly where you need the support in your back. The ultimate addition to the zero gravity position. If you don’t like the pillow, simply take it off.
Slipping into the zero gravity position is very simple. All you have to do is flick the switch located just under the premium wooden armrests downwards. This unlocks the chair for gliding into position. When you are happy with the recline, simply flick the switch upwards to lock the chair into position.
Overall the Timber Ridge a very high quality chair. It is a little more expensive because of it high quality materials used and the 350 lbs weight capacity. Maximum user height I would recommend is 6’4″ tall. At this height your feet may still reach beyond the bar an inch or two. But you can use the bar to rest the soles of your feet on while your in the zero gravity position.
See The Timber Ridge Up Close And Personal
Zero Gravity Chair For 6 Foot Tall People
Well regarded as one of the best zero gravity chairs for heavy people up to 330 lbs, the Caravan Sports is one tough and durable chair. While it is not the longest chair, it is still suitable for people around 6 foot tall.
Any taller and you will have to rest your feet on the bar. Alternatively you can hang your heels over the bar, but this can be uncomfortable. So by adding a pillow, or trimming down a hollow pool noodle to place over the bar you can rest your feet without pain.
All Important Size Measurements
- Quite a wide seat measuring 25.8 inches. This can also allow a taller person to angle themselves slightly on the canvas to obtain greater length from the chair.
- Very impressive 31 inch tall backrest. So if you have a taller upper half, this is a great chair to cater to your height.
- The seat sites 14.5 inches high off the ground. A little low for some, but not as low as a camping chair or beach chair typically are.
- Weights 18 lbs.
It’s The Ultimate Outdoors Chair
What makes the Caravan Sports such a loved zero gravity chair is the fact it was built for the outdoors. Many other chairs you buy will not be designed for outdoors use. So in a weeks time you may get a nice little surprise form on the frame. Rust!.
But the caravan sports is made from a rust resistant powder coated steel and uses durable outdoors textaline. So it wont rot nor will it rust. Perfect for taking to the beach and on camping trips. Plus its wider and longer than standard zero gravity chairs.
XL Oversize Zero Gravity Chair
The mesh backing is the most breathable material you can have on a seat as it allows air to circulate between the chair and your body. If you sweat a lot like myself, then mesh backing is a must.
But then this Portal chair offers maximum comfort in the form of a padded seat and leg rest section. Combining the best of both worlds (breathable and comfort), the Portal is certainly one of the highest quality zero gravity chairs I have come across.
Does This Zero Gravity Position Chair Suit Tall People?
While it’s not as long as the Timber Ridge mentioned at the top, it’s still quite a long chair. The total length measured from the top of the head rest bar to the bar you place your feet on is 69 inches. Which is just under 6 foot. But when you position your body in the zero gravity position, taller people can also slide into this chair and benefit from the comfort it offers.
- The padding on the seat is 20.5 inches wide while the measurement between the arms (tubing) is just over 23 inches.
- Backrest is just shy of 29 inches tall.
- 19.5″ long leg rest.
- 22 inch deep seat.
- Huge 350 pound weight capacity.
The Portal is a high quality oversized zero gravity chair suitable for tall people looking for the finer qualities from a chair. The Portal offers the features of a removable and adjustable pillow, folding side table with cup holder and very easy to use locking mechanism.
The wooden arms add a touch of class to the chair which complements the mesh backing and padded seat design. Overall it looks and feels like a premium quality chair.
The only thing that may be of concern (provided you are not too tall) is that it’s not a 100% outdoors chair. While the powder coated durable iron alloy is protected from the elements, the padded cushion shoudn’t be exposed to consistent bad weather. This could deteriorate the material and cause a shorter shelf life. So if you don’t mind putting the chair under cover during rainy days and want a super comfortable yet premium chair, give Portal a chance.
Zero Gravity Chairs Make Ideal Patio Chairs
If you have come this far and have still not settled on one of these zero gravity chairs, what are you doing?. These chairs make ideal patio chairs because of the amount of relaxation they offer. Many people have a zero gravity chair as part of their outdoor furniture set. I know I do and its the most used chair on the deck.
But I get it if you have limited space in your outdoors entertaining area, these alternative tall patio chairs will make a great alternative.